The Definitive Guide to eBay Selling Part 6b by Branding and Linking
Learn how to promote your listing through branding and linking
On How To Promote Your Listing Through Branding and Linking
We have been working on how to promote our eBay listing through the use of My eBay and how to track the listing with the help of the Selling Manager. Then we learned to promote the listing the use of the marketing tools. Now we are ready to use more promotional ways to enhance our listing.
How A Successful Seller Promoted His Listing
Here’s how the seller who was successful in selling at eBay with promotion tips sprinkled in the steps he followed. I promised to give this to you and here it is. Apparently his auctions earned more money than others for the same type of items. He said his method worked and he was good enough to share us the steps he followed.
1. Research as much as you can every item you list. Find out how much the items similar to yours sold at eBay or what they charge for them at Amazon, abcbooks.com and other forums.
2. Use low starting bids for two reasons. They encourage more prospective buyers to participate and it costs less to list low starting bids. If you expect the item to be more popular, the lower you should set the starting bid.. If you think there will only be a few bids, set the price closer to your desired sale point and do not use a reserve. Reserves scare bidders.
Putting a low price on the item encourages competition. Why? Because all think they will get an item for cheap. On the contrary, the low price is like a magnet attracting watchers to bid resulting in a bidding war. Bidding war = better price. From the confessions of an eBay store worker, “Usually the lower the starting bid, the better off the item ends up doing.”
3. Set to start your listing on a Thursday afternoon or evening and run it for ten days. Set the auction to end on Sunday evening between 7 and 10 Eastern and 4 and 7 Pacific time. This will give you 2 weekends for people to bid. Listings that close on Sundays do better and so those that close in the evening. So close your auction when people get home from work, or have finished eating dinner. Time zones are important so keep that in mind. One successful eBay seller always starts his auctions at 10pm EST.
4. Pay the extra 10 cents if necessary so you can prepare the listing in advance and get it scheduled for Thursday evenings. Get ready a group of listings in advance which you can schedule to start within two hours of each other. Don’t make your listings to end closer than two minutes of each.
5. Offer delivery confirmation and free shipping for which you will be charged but then you’re building goodwill and that’s priceless. The delivery confirmation will put your mind at ease. As for free insurance, it does not seem to add value but offer this only for expensive items or an option for the customer to pay.
6. Offering a money-back guarantee is only if the item is not as described and not for the buyer to change his mind or makes a mistake.
7. Write an attention-grabbing title with care. Use keywords that would interest the buyers so your listing can be seen in the search results. Spell check the title and make it as long as you can, adding colors, adjectives and so on.
8. Prepare a good description listing down both the good and the flaws of the item. Add keywords but in conversational form. Do a comprehensive job on this even with long descriptions especially if bold and highlighting are used to give emphasis on the important parts.
Show main points in the form of bullets for people usually just skim through the listing.
9. Don’t accept bids from those who will give you headache like buyers with negative feedback who do not pay for their purchases.
10. Take pictures of your item and put them in the description. Put at least one picture. If you are selling an item worth $10 or more, put a gallery. The 35-cent gallery feature will show the photos when people browse the listing so use it. Using 4 or 5 pictures will pay for itself.
11. People will ask you questions but answer all of them, even the stupid questions. If it is a question a lot will be asking, post your reply publicly.
12. Be friendly and good-natured and you will receive better results.
The above technique worked well for this man. Two things in his technique stand out. He offers free shipping and list for 10 days. What is our take-away from this? Giving careful care and time in the listing can result in a huge amount of income.
Here’s a video on How to Promote eBay Items For Free Your eBay Auctions Or Fixed Price Items
Techniques On How To Promote Your Listing
There are thousands of listings on eBay but some of them don’t really get any exposure. You can create listing after listing till kingdom come and get not a glance from the prospective buyers. You can’t rely on the search results from eBay for your eBay store listing because usually they do not appear in the search results. Others appear when they search but you can’t just wait for this to happen. We have to be more proactive than that.
Yes, sometimes we don’t get a response to our listing yet others get their listings noticed and ultimately sold. What do they do that we don’t know? Are there secrets to this? This is where I come in. Now, don’t get me wrong. This is not something I came out myself. These are things I learned from many years of researching.
Here’s Technique #1. Branding Your Business
Promote your business by publicity, advertising, and other marketing devices like the experts do. What to do is brand your business and then market it. You can either brand an individual item or your whole business. That is your choice. But I think the best way is to market your business as that will have a long-term effect.
It’s true that promoting your individual items may result in more sales today. But how about tomorrow and the next day? Of course you can promote both. But how do you promote your business? First create your business identity. Just think of Kentucky Fried Chicken’s “finger-licking good” and Bank of Nova Scotia’s “You’re richer than you think.”
The brand you create for your business will define your business and will tell the world what your business is all about. With a brand, it tells the world your business is unique while without a brand you’re just one small-time eBay seller. Your brand will make you stand out and may have people humming a tune that defines your business.
Here’s Technique #2. Linking to Your Other Listings
This is simple; just link to your other listings. Despite the fact that it is important to market your whole business, you also have to promote your listings. What does this mean? You will have to promote both your eBay store listings as well as your auctions. Insert the following HTML code when writing the description of your item in order to link to your other items:
Please check out my other items!
Of course, you have to replace USERID with your very own user ID from eBay. Similarly, you can also change “Please check out my other items!” with words you want to use.
It is obvious, that one way to promote your other listing is to have the bystanders check out your other listings. Potential buyers may be interested in one item you are selling, why not show them your other items for sale? It makes sense, doesn’t it? Who knows those buyers might end up buying more items?
Even eBay helps promote your listings. They will include View Seller’s Other Items in the section in all the listing pages for Meet the Sellers. This will also have your current listings and if you have an eBay Store, the link to that will also be included. Here is the HTML code to insert in the description to add a link to your eBay Store:
Can Other Sites Link to Your eBay Listings?
Other websites can also link to your other listings and to your eBay store by inserting the aforementioned HTML codes. And did you know eBay has a button that you can add to your personal web pages? When people click this button, they will be sent directly to your listing. How can we do this? Here is how to do it:
1. Go to link your site to eBay at pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/link-buttons.html
2. Check the box to the My Listings on eBay button.
3. Enter the URL of the page where you want to put the button.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click that you agree to the conditions.
5. An HTML Code will appear which you can paste on your web page.
Linking to your eBay Store is not too easy but it is doable.
1. Go to HTML Builder page at cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
2. Here you can build links to individual items to your store, your store’s home page, specific store pages and store search page.
3. Click the link you want to work on and follow the instructions.
Technique #3: Setting Up Product Cross-Promotions
Cross-promotions are an important technique that could help sell more items on eBay. This has been mentioned before but there are more additions that could help more. For one thing this tool can help drive traffic to your listing. How? If you own an eBay store, you can go to the bottom of your listing and see a box that displays four items you sell.
That box is a potent advertising tool for those items. This cross-promotion box is available for those who own an eBay Store. Use the cross-promotion tool to specify which items to show in which boxes. The items differ depending upon the products you are trying to sell. You can manage this by going to the Summary page of your My eBay.
Then go down to the section that says Manage My Store where you can click the link that says Manage My Store. When that page appears, go to Marketing Tools and click the link that says Cross-Promotion Setting. This is where you can turn the cross-promotion on or off. Specify how you want to cross-promote and how your items will appear.
In order to do the above, click the link that says Cross-Promotions Defaults where you can click Create New Rule link to link the display of items to the kind of product a potential buyer is viewing. So if you are selling a make Money eBook, you’ll want it displayed when a buyer is looking at a similar product.
These are just a few more ways to promote your eBay listings. Those who do well don’t sit on their butt after they have created their listing. They continue working on ways to promote the items they sell. They use them all be they through the Marketing tool or through branding and linking with other websites the right way so they will still be in compliance with eBay’s rules.
So now, what do we do? Have you tried any of these Techniques? Which ones worked for you and which ones didn’t? Some of you have been selling on eBay and must have a few techniques of your own. Please mention them in the contact form below.
By Roger Guzman, M.D. and Evelyn Guzman
One way to promote your eBay listing is through pictures. Use Your Own Pictures for Your eBay Items To Sell and earn money from them at the same time.
Don’t Miss Reading These Related Posts.
Please leave a comment or feedback below; we will greatly appreciate it.
Copyright 2014 Roger Guzman, M.D. and Evelyn Guzman All rights reserved.